Saturday, April 23, 2016

Eating Clean While Eating Out!

I hear all the time from my those i'm working with that hardest part about staying true to their health and fitness goals is the weekends. In particular, dining out! The truth is, I had this same struggle. When I first began my weight loss journey I would literally stress myself out so much about going out to eat and "cheating", I didn't even enjoy the experience. I finally got to a point where I just didn't go out to eat... let me tell you, I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS. Living a healthy lifestyle is all about learning balance, not living in a state of restriction and stress. So, here are some of my tips that saved me when dining out!


1. Research Your Restaurant

Instead of waiting until you get to the restaurant to scan the menu for something along your nutritional guidelines, find the menu online BEFORE you leave the house and decide on exactly what you're going to order before you get there. The perks of planning ahead is you skip opening up the menu and starring at all those mouth watering pictures of food you really don't want to eat but at the same time are SO tempted. PLUS, online has all the nutritional info listed where in the restaurant you don't have that luxury. 

2. Keep It Simple

Okay, what if the menu for the restaurant you're headed to doesn't have an online menu? Maybe they're just a local deli or cafe, what now?? Look for simple dishes like chicken, steamed fish, vegetables, salad... the simpler the food, the more unprocessed it is, and closest it'll be in tune to your meal plan.

3. Order Dressing On The Side

Most restaurant dressing has added sugar. If possible, try and order balsamic and vinegar dressings (or just oil & vinegar), which are the least processed. Otherwise, order dressing on the side and use sparingly. 

4. Order Water

Get rid of the empty calories found in sodas, beers, and sweetened beverages. Free refills and sitting around the table chatting with friends is a great way to consume an entire days worth of calories, not to mention 3x the recommended daily amount of sugar. Ask for a lemon to add some flavor and you'll be surprised how much more drinking water before your meals will help you to eat LESS.

5. Don't Be Afraid To Be That Guy (or girl)!

Ignore the little voice in your headed telling you to be easy going and not make a big deal out of the food you're about to put in your mouth. I've been a server and I promise, it's almost a breath of fresh air when someone cares enough about their health to be bold enough to ask for no butter on their veggies, light seasoning on their chicken, replacing the mashed potatoes with a sweet potato, etc. So stop worrying what others will think and focus on YOU. This is food to fuel YOUR body, not anyone else's. Maybe you'll even inspire someone else at the table to duplicate your order. :)

6. Ask For A Box As Soon As You Get Your Meal

We all know the portions while dining out are rediculous. Most of the time they are enough to feed two, sometimes even three people! If you're one who will keep eating as long as the food is in front of you, ask for a box as soon as you get your meal. I still do this today when I dine out to watch my portion control and limit myself to a place of fulfillment versus stuffed! Not only does this save calories, but it spreads your meal cost over two meals and now you have lunch the next day too!

7. Skip Dessert

Okay so I kinda cringed a little when I typed that. I'm totally a "dessert before dinner" kinda gal. If you're out celebrating, and you know you won't feel a sense of guilt after indulging, I say allow yourself to split a dessert with a few others. I few bites of carrot cake (rarely can I turn this down), cheesecake, or chocolate cake are NOT going to reverse all your hard work. Once again, it's about balance so if you REALLY want it (& once again won't later kill yourself with guilt) then have it. However, I don't recommend it every single time you dine out. Pick and choose your indulgences and make them worth it!

8. Enjoy The Feeling Of Freedom!

It's important to realize that the enjoyment of eating that unhealthy, overly processed food may be impeccable at the moment; but the feeling of control, and continued success to the body you've always desired is completely unbeatable. Feeling good in your skin, having that vibrant confidence, and thriving with energy will go so much farther and truthfully has been my driving force since I started experiencing it. Living a healthy lifestyle don't have to be boring and definitely does not have to be restricting, it's a blissful life full of FREEDOM as long as you have the right mindset. Embrace your journey and celebrate the fact you've taken that first step to a new you! 

Clean Eating Restaurants To Try:
  • Fresh To Order (Atlanta Airport)
  • Chipotle
  • Zoe's Kitchen
  • Panera Bread 
  • Bonefish Grill
  • Outback Steakhouse (salmon with no butter and light seasoning with mixed veggies also no butter and a plain sweet potato is where it's at!)
Questions? I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below.

XO

Brianna


No comments:

Post a Comment