Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Slow Cooker Whole Chicken

A few weeks ago I had this brilliant idea that would not only save me money on my meal prep but also save me TIME.

It all started at a local farmers market when I visited a table from one of our local farmers and started talking to him about his chicken.

I've talked about switching to organic, free range chicken for months now but my budget just said NO.

Obviously no part of me wanted to consume chicken full of steroids, antibiotics, and hormones... but I couldn't give up my chicken and buying all organic literally made me cringe.

As I talked to this farmer, he told me I could get a 5lb. chicken for $10! I don't think he even finished his sentence before I started pulling out my wallet. I WAS SOLD.

I brought this chicken home and looked at it like a foreign object... What in the world was I supposed to do with this thing??

Two words. CROCK POT.



Slow Cooker Whole Chicken 

  • 1 whole chicken, frozen or thawed (mine was roughly 5 pounds)
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp. paprika
  • 1 tbsp. pink Himalayan salt
  • 1 tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 onion, sliced 
  • 2 lemons, sliced
To Make:
  1. If your chicken is thawed take your sliced onion and stuff it inside the cavity of the chicken.
  2. Place the chicken breast side up and drizzle with olive oil.
  3. Mix together all of your seasonings and rub on to chicken. Be sure to get into EVERY single crevice. This flavors your chicken so don't be scarce with your seasonings!
  4. Sliced up 2 lemons and add slices all over the top of your chicken.
  5. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours
Your chicken will be so tender it will literally fall off the bone!

ENJOY!

XOXO Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment